Sunday, February 24, 2008

ice storm #2

It’s been a tough week for finding decent running conditions on the trails around here with another big ice storm causing most of the headaches. A good thing LLTH was run on the 16th & not yesterday – much of the course was solid ice (no snow) with trees bent over into the trail throughout. The Yaktrax proved their worth yesterday. I believe they’re best on ice and I couldn’t have done without them. The thing is, it’s unlikely I’ll ever see conditions anything like what I came across yesterday. I didn't give the Yaktrax a very good grade for their performance in the race, but to be fair, I bought the large size as the store didn’t have the mediums recommended for my shoes -- I didn’t think it would make much difference at the time, but apparently it does -- big time.

A little tenderness in the arch/heal areas, but the legs are recovering well. Planning a couple good works in this week before tapering for the 50 miler at Land Between the Lakes on the 8th. I don’t know what it is about LBL, but have never felt good or gotten into a groove on the course. The last 2 years I overheated & dropped down in distance or walked the last lap.

Below are pictures in Tom Wallace park yesterday, these are sections that were run in the LLTH race. The park has been closed since the storm Thursday with downed powerlines still on the road:




No comments: