Saturday, August 10, 2013

caught up

Last report of 3.


Mohican - 3rd attempt

2013 had been an odd year weather-wise and I have no complaints about this summer.  Even with a cooler than normal August last year, there have been 30+ fewer days this year where the temps have reached 90 here in Louisville.  It's been (so far) the coolest summer in recent memory.

So, back in June, I had several major factors in my favor entering Mohican:  normal temps (rare) on race day, a gut somewhat under control, injury free, mentally re-focused (from Massanutten) and some rare training days in June when it's usually too hot to even think about it.  I felt really good about my chances.


However, stupid me couldn't sit still taper week & decided to do some Spring cleaning & moved some heavy boxes around.  I didn't even realize what I was doing till my back went out -- just what I didn't need before a race where I DNF'd twice because of severe back pain!  Dumb! Dumb! Dumb!  So that's my race & report in a nutshell -- DNF with back problems -- again.



 
A couple notes about the recorded time above:

At the 50 mile mark, I was feeling good with a time of 12:43 and had over 19 hours to finish the 2nd half.  But my back started shutting me down around the 100k mark & by the time I got to the aid station at mile 73, even baby steps were painful & I called it quits.  Since they were the last aid station before the end of the loop, I believe the aid station captain was reluctant to take anyone back (this was about 1:30 a.m.) -- so I had to join the other disabled runner who was lying on the ground on a blanket.

About an hour later, another runner in really bad shape came into the aid station.  Since I tried & was able to stand without pain, I told them I would give that runner my blanket spot & try to walk it in (it turned out to be a slow & painful trek w/many breaks & wished I hadn't tried it!).  I had shut off my timer when I stopped at the aid station & for some reason (hoping for a miracle?) restarted it when I left, so that's why there's a discrepancy in the times.

Next up:

I've postponed all my construction projects around the house this summer due to my back & have been getting alot of back rest.  I used to call my running nemesis the "fickle" back -- I never knew when it was going to flare up.  I've dealt with it most of my running years and now, after a short absence, it has returned.   Since I no longer perform heavy lifting on a regular basis (using wood as a primary source of heat), I feel (& hope) this is just temporary.  Maybe I'll find out when I try Woodstock next month . . .

2 comments:

Chris Ⓥ said...

Good luck at Woodstock!

ed said...

Thanks Chris -- CONGRATS again on chalking up another fast run at Howl!