Thursday, June 25, 2009

2009 Mohican

Short version: DNF @ 75 miles (0 for 2 for this event)

Very long version:

Although the forecast changed daily the week of the Mohican 100, it appeared it would not be so hot as to keep me from my second attempt at finishing the race, so I packed my bags with much anticipation. However, there were a couple events during this week that gave me bad vibes -- which I really hate coming into a big race:

1st bad vibe: was a last second message from the RD stating that ZipLoc bags would have to be used as your drop bags!!!!! I look forward to packing my small "cooler" drop bags with what I think I need to finish the race -- I have no crew & I rely on them very heavily. I had noted earlier that since last year the RD had cut the number of aid stations where you could have drop bags, so I was prepared for that -- not for this last second bag change. I also wanted to bring a couple more pairs of shoes this year since I had problems with the wet feet & blisters last year.

However, after the outcry from runners after his initial announcement, the RD had a change of heart -- now saying it was actually a "request" and not a "requirement"!! So I packed my usual bags as lightly as possible knowing one of the reasons the ZipLoc bags were requested was that they were not as heavy for the volunteers to move around. I did NOT pack that extra pair of shoes in the drop bag at the Covered Bridge (CB) aid station as I had originally planned -- this may have indirectly caused my DNF, but I'll never know for sure & I'll just have to live with it -- Grrrrrr . . . . .

2nd bad vibe: a severe thunderstorm rumbled thru Louisville Thursday, knocking out my electric. One of the pitfalls of living in a heavily forested area is that all the trees love to fall on the powerlines with ANY kind of storm. I had power knocked out just before a couple other races in the last 9 months & they were both a (bad) sign of things to come race wise. So with the power out, my pre-race routine was totally disrupted again (my meal & sleep plans especially). I really dislike to leave on a trip not knowing when power would be restored to the house either.

I arrived in Loudonville, OH, Friday afternoon. It was only 80 degrees at the time, but the dew point had to be in the 70's as it was difficult to breathe! I thought if the race had conditions like this, I might as well turn around! Fortunately, a rain storm (hail & all) came thru and cleared the air somewhat later in the evening. Although the rain would make for a muddy course, I was better prepared for that than heat & high humidity. At packet pickup, I ran into a few familiar faces: Brad C., Ellen E., Dave C., Al E., Rosie E., Kyle F. & Kenneth S. are ones that I can remember. Always great to catch up with how everyone's doing!

Race day:

5 a.m. race morning was damp & misty with temps in the 70's. As pre-race instructions were being given out, I began to prep my Garmin 405. For some reason, maybe the humidity and/or low elevation, but the GPS watch could not get a fix on enough satellites to work! The watch finally was able to pick up satellites after leaving the Mohican River Valley. The battery started to go dead though after about 5 1/2 hours, right on schedule.

The humidity was up, but once we reached the top of the 1st big hill from the start, there was a breeze which lasted all day. That was a savior as much as I sweat -- my shorts remained soaked the entire day anyway. I had a hydration problem last year & I came prepared with an extra water bottle this time & it worked out just right.

Time at the RP aid station at 10 miles was about 2:06, a little slower than last year, but I was happy as I felt OK. I saw Roy Heger in front of me -- maybe I'm going out too fast? Roy would end up finishing in 24 hrs & change. As I continued behind him, everything was fine & dandy till halfway to the next aid station. My legs started to feel like they were full of lactic acid. The back of my right leg was hurting too. What in the world is going on I thought? If I felt this way now, there would be no way I could even finish 20 miles, let alone 100. I started to walk continuously as I tried to figure out what I did & hopefully get my legs back. Maybe I was having a reaction to the insect patches I put on -- 1st time I have ever used them (they didn't work). I did think I strained a muscle in my right leg from trying to jump over the 1st stream to keep my feet from getting wet (because I didn't have that extra change of shoes waiting!!) I did regain some of my legs back by the Fire Tower aid station, but my right leg continued to hurt. I could just tolerate the pain, so I decided to continue with the race but at a much reduced pace.

After a quick stop for a drink refill only at the CB aid station at 18.6 miles, I headed out on the 4 mile Purple Loop. A change from last year was this segment was done before the Orange Loop -- meaning the road section on this loop, mostly a big hill, would be done in the morning shadows instead of the afternoon sun -- that would be an improvement. With the heavy rainstorm the evening before however, these trails that were marked with lime dust were no longer marked!!! Also, the runners I was with had not run the course before (I had, but apparently didn't pay enough attention to the numerous trail junctions and turn offs). We found some lime "after" the 1st trail junction in question, but the second unmarked junction that came to a T really threw us. 2 of us went one way & 2 the other and we were to shout back if we saw a marker or some other convincing evidence. Everyone returned to the junction with no success & now there were 8, then 10, then 12 runners all stacked up wondering what to do!! There seemed to be a few more foot prints to the left so most decided to go that way -- some went to the right. I went left because the Purple Loop went counterclockwise & if you continued to make nothing but left (CC) turns, you would eventually hit the trail you came in on at the least . . . . or go in a circle if you didn't watch it! Well, anyway, there were several more unmarked trail junctions encountered as our group wandered thru the forest. Eventually we ran into familiar territory -- yeah -- got my cold "shower" at Lyons Falls afterall. Somewhere in that maze, we ran into Lucas Hardbarger -- one of the runners who helped me last year -- he said he had done the Purple Loop twice!

Back at the CB aid station, I drank 20 oz and carried 40 oz for the next 5 mile leg -- I would do this for the next 3 aid stations as it was in the heat of the day & I needed every bit of it! As I was starting the Orange trail, I ran into 2 lost runners who apparently went "right" instead of "left" at the dam on the Purple loop & had been completely off course for the last 2 miles and ended up on the wrong side of the river!

From the CB aid station I continued my shuffle at a 16 to 20 minute pace. That's pretty much what I had on my mind for the next 40 miles -- I only had to average 18-20 minute miles to finish within the 30 hour time limit.

I tried to enjoy the run as much as possible, taking in what I could -- noting the wildlife & scenery. I always love to see deer, as long as they didn't jump out & scare me! Running wise, it was pretty much uneventful from here on till the end -- most of the remaining trails I knew from last year -- the only things different were that it was muddy on a few trails & the horse/deer flies were much worse than last year. Since I ran without a shirt and moving so slow, I was an easy target -- other runners who passed me said they didn't notice ANY flies!!!! The bike trails were nice, the horse trails -- not so nice. The aid stations came up periodically -- I motored on . . . 40 . . . 50 . . . 60 miles, very slow but steady. It became dark at the Fire Tower aid station & I picked up 2 lights. At the HR aid station at 68.8 miles, I was still almost an hour ahead of the cutoff pace (18 minute miles). I had over 10 hours to do the last 50k -- I really felt I was going to finish!! This 6.7 mile segment of the Orange Trail coming up next to the GM aid station is where my back gave way last year -- @ 73 miles, 2 miles short of the aid station. I don't know what it is about this segment (I think it's mostly downhill thru here), but my legs started to give out & my right leg pain was beginning to be intolerable near the 73 mile mark!! I went to the continuous walk mode again. By the time I got to the Grist Mill aid station at 75 miles, my legs had not improved & my right one was hurting as much as when I walked as when I ran. So I sat down at the aid station -- I knew it was a mistake, but at that point I was beginning not to care. I only had 25 miles to go, the last 10 of those on gravel/paved (but hilly) roads. The longer I sat, the more I felt I could not mentally tough it out the remaining hours nor risk more chances that my body/legs could completely shut down. And I knew from experience, on the trail alone in the middle of the night was not the place to be in that condition -- so the decision was to DNF.

I didn't realize it till I after I decided to DNF, but I felt the back of my right leg & there was a knot there about half the size of my fist (just above the knee on the back of my leg)! Some ice got most of the swelling down, but it's still red & a little painful after 3 days. I've strained leg muscles before, but never ran 60+ miles afterward!

I'm very disappointed with my race of course, but mostly puzzled at how tired my legs felt after only 12 or 13 miles -- I had not gone out too fast as I've done training runs farther & faster than that. So my running plans for this summer are on hold, if not canceled at this point.


Jeffro said...

This Mohican sounds like it is as much of a mental challenge as it is physical. 75 miles on a bum leg is pretty impressive. Rest up, heal the leg. Before you know it, despite what the climate alarmists are saying cooler weather will be here before you know it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ed!

Kyle here. How's it going? I hope you are recovering fast, or as fast as can be expected.

What a day huh? Rain, heat, humidity, poor trail markings, and oh yeah...100 miles! I share a lot of the same frustrations in some of your memories/recaptures of this race. 75 miles is great, and you have to give your self credit for sticking it out that long banged up.

Me, I finished 26:38...I held a 13 minute mile pace for the first 61 miles. Plus at some point and I don't know when (I think mile 55 - 60), but I was told that I was in 9th or 10th place overall and was cruising.

I also got off course twice (purple), but quickly recovered before it became an issue. I guess mother nature happens and you can’t control the weather…right? Regardless, it added an extra element of unknown to an already brutal course and long race.

The second time to Fire Tower was a tough section for me. I was trying to run, but just couldn’t get going. I was screaming at myself to go and finally, I started to come out of it. Still, I lost some time there (just before mile 60). Plus the second time to Grist Mill (miles 61-72) was hard. It was tough to run that section twice, a ton of vertical climb and switchbacks, especially when it was getting dark. I did not have my light/lamp (big mistake). I misjudged my time to the Grist Mill to pick up a flashlight, by maybe a .25 mile. With it being dark, and I mean pitch black in the forest, I stepped in a hole and twisted my knee, but didn't really think anything of it. I made to Grist Mill (mile 72), and while I was putting tape on my heel, I could feel my knee starting to swell. I stood up and pretty much couldn’t bend it, but kept going. It loosened up, but then the pain that came shortly after was incredible. So on the way back to Covered Bridge (with a flash light, Yes!) going uphill, I experienced some of the most excruciating pain I have ever felt in my life. My knee hurt so bad about 4/5 times I almost vomited. (Nice picture huh!)

Also during the day, I took two ridiculous falls early on. The first, I just wasn’t paying attention and took a hard tumble. The second (mile 37), I slipped, turned my ankle, slammed my shoulder, and fell in the nastiest, blackest, smelliest pile of mud or something – I am still not sure. All I know is thank god! I had a 2 mile stretch to the river crossing! I passed a couple of other runners who got out of the way quickly, Lol. Then I saw the river, and sped up and I practically dove in! In all my feet were pretty much wet all day, and took a pounding.

Needless to say things got worse and even more rough from there. I pretty much power walked/hiked/ran it in from about the 72 mile mark in. I could only manage to run for like 30 second - 1 minute bursts at a time. Then, I couldn't go downhill without experiencing serious pain. I kept on seeing bright flashes when the pain would hit me. Finally, for the last 30 miles the worst happened...I could not hold any food down or in! (even worse picture, huh?) Everything I was drinking was going right through me or I was vomiting it out. I must have stopped about every other mile or so, to go to the bathroom.

Regardless, I finished! 26:38, 25th overall out of 250 and I never quit. I got the buckle! I was passed by about 10 people in last 5 frustrating. But, besides saying I do!, and my daughter being born, crossing that finish line was one of the greatest feelings of my life!!!

If I would have been able to stay on my pace, not get injured, or experienced the issues I encountered, I would have finished in 21 hours or low 22 hours. That would have been good enough for the top 5! Next year…

My crew helped me big time...something to consider some time.

One other thing, I have already decided. I will be back to get revenge on Mohican (You'll be there, right?). I know I can run sub 24 there, but for now I am off to see a Sports Orthopedic, just to make sure.

Good to see you, and I'll be checking the blog often - like I always do.

Heal fast, and take care buddy.


Anonymous said...


Always good to see you. I loved the trails at Mohican, not the course markings so much. Lots of mini-challenges all day. Some friends are looking at doing the Arkansas Traveler 100 in October. I might be talked into it even though I hit a point this past weekend where I thought, "never again!" You should think about Arkansas too.


ed said...


Many say after the 1st 50 it's all mental -- bull -- the physical challenge does not go away!

I hope your financial situation is such that it doesn't keep you from considering races that you'd like to run -- sure would like to see you try out that 1st 100 this fall. See you then?


W-O-W ! ! !

S-U-P-E-R effort!!

You had a heck of an ordeal in this race. Knee swelling?! -- that would be cause for most to shut down right then . . . end of race. I'll push myself, but I'm not in the same league as you -- I admire your tenacity! I hope everything checked out OK & you're back on track. I agree, 21 - 22 hours is a reachable goal for you with better conditions & better luck!

I may go north (Kettle Moraine) for cooler weather next year in place of MO. Really, I just hope to be in the physical condition to have that option.

Oh yes, many thanks for sharing your race experience. You should start a blog -- you're an excellent writer -- I'd be a follower!


A pleasure, as always, to see you at a race!

Sounds like the night & the pace were not issues for you -- so glad you did well, especially for the 1st time on the course.

The Traveller has been recommended by many and seems to be a race I'd like. I wish I could try it, but it's almost a 9 hour drive, as is Massanutten (the drive back after the race is the toughest!). That, plus with school in session, it's difficult to schedule these long trips.

100's can be addictive, can't they?!

Luc said...


Valiant effort man! You're pretty tough to go so far on a bad leg. Next year is your year, I just know it. :) Also, when I saw you, I was on my first time around the purple loop. Glad you made it out of there when you did. The best part about doing that loop twice was that I got to have a Big Lyon falls shower twice. :)

Heal fast, and I'll see you next year (if not before).


Josh said...

good effort out there considering the circumstances! Mo is a fickle lady, third time is the charm!

ed said...


It says alot about a person to handle that situation on the Purple Loop as you did -- very commendable! I'll always feel grateful (& now privileged) to have met you.

Hopefully the next time we meet it will be under better circumstances for both of us -- see you then!


Great to hear from you!

I still remember your report from Mohican on your finish on your 1st attempt -- it was very inspiring! Of course, I'll never forget your most helpful & timely rescue last year (Thanks again!) -- it most certainly affected my decision to stop this year.

Good Luck at the Pony Express 100!!!